For Mother's Day, I made all of the moms important to me something special.  This post details a project I have been working on over the last few days for my mother. Her book case was in rough shape, and it's been around since 1925.  So it was time to replace this old, worn out, cracked and falling apart book case for something a little bit more on the simple side.

The project was done out of 3 premium cut pine 1" by 12" boards from my local lumber supplier Kuiken Brothers.  It didn't cost much more than $60 to make.

The book case was made out to roughly 3 ft wide by 5 ft tall and 12 inches deep.

First, I made four cuts on the first two pine boards exactly 3ft long. I didn't bother shaving down any of the sides as I wanted the book case to be 12 inches deep.

The sides of bookcase
shelves for bookcase and bottom slat.

I then cut the third board in half to approximately 5ft long and proceeded to staining the boards with a nice oil-based espresso stain I had laying around from another project.

shelves with 3 pocket holes on each side

Once the stained dried onto the pine boards, I drilled some pocket holes with my kreg mini pocket hole jig.  Three holes on each end (underside) of shelves was the right amount.

I used some bar clamps to eliminate the warped spots in the center of the 1x12 boards so they would sit flush against the shelves as well here.

Next, I used the corner clamp to hold each of the top sides to the top portion of the bookcase together while I drove the pocket hole screws into the holes drilled earlier on. Repeating the same steps for the top, I used my corner clamps to put the bottom shelf on the bookcase.  The shelves are about 12" apart at the top of the book case. I used a paint stick to space them so they were prefectly even, and that way I didn't have to worry about using a level and the uneven ground I was working on becoming problematic.

For the bottom shelf, I left a 3 inch gap to add a piece of wood for aesthetics, support, and practicality, hoping to prevent my mother from dropping something and then losing it underneath the bookcase.  For the bottom slat, I used two pocket holes on each side, 4 pocket screws total.

I didn't end up putting a clear coat on the bookcase as it added extra drying time, but I would highly reccomend doing so as it will preserve and protect the wood in from heat and moisture.

I left a larger gap and shelf space on the bottom for other odd shaped or larger items that my mother wants to store on this piece of furniture.